As the summer months approach here in the Erie, CO, area, it’s essential to be aware of the potential for storms on the open water. With heavy winds and choppy waves, bad weather can quickly put a damper on any boating trip. To ensure that your vessel is prepared for a storm, here are some helpful tips from us at Advantage Service Insurance:
- Ensure all windows, hatches, and doors are securely closed and latched.
- Check all ropes and mooring lines to make sure they’re taut and secure.
- Install extra lines if needed – these can be used to tie down loose equipment or furniture and help keep the boat from drifting away in high winds.
- Remove any sails from the boat or stow them away in case of high winds, which could cause damage.
- Securely store any valuables or items that could get lost or damaged during a storm.
- Double-check that all fuel tanks are secure and tightly sealed against leaks or spills during turbulent waters.
- Ensure your bilge pump works correctly to quickly remove the excess water should your boat begin to take on water during a storm surge or heavy rain.
- Lastly, ensure you have an emergency kit aboard with first aid supplies and other essential items such as food, water, and flashlights – just in case!
These tips help ensure you and your boat stay safe and sound when a storm hits! For more safety tips, call us at Advantage Service Insurance today. We proudly serve the Erie, CO area and would happily help you find the right policy for your needs.